A self-paced interview is a method of interviewing in which participants are provided with open-ended questions or problems and asked to answer those at their own time and pace.
This method allows candidates to think more deeply about their responses and provide more detailed answers for employers than in a traditional face-to-face interview.
One of the key benefits of a self-paced discussion is that it can be conducted remotely, making it an excellent option for every company to gather data from candidates (not only through a single resume) who are geographically dispersed or may have busy schedules.
Moreover, this is a pleasant job search process for both parties, the engaging candidates and the recruiting teams.
What is a Self-Paced Video Interview?
A self-paced video interview is when the participant receives the on-demand interview questions and records answers independently without a hiring manager or employer.
By the way, self-paced video interviews are also known as one-way video interviews.
There are a few benefits of an on-demand interview and the whole interviewing process.
- Participants can record their responses conveniently without scheduling a live interview with the employer’s representatives or a hiring team. It makes self-paced video interviews a good option for busy participants or those in different time zones.
- One-way video interviews do not require hiring managers to be present and read the resume during the interview.
- Such on-demand interviews appeal to some candidates, who may feel more comfortable recording their responses than participating in a live discussion.
- One-way video interviews can result in more detailed and thoughtful responses, as participants have the time to consider their answers and record them in a familiar environment.
How Does a One-way Video Interview Work?
Here is a step-by-step video interviewing process for conducting a one-way video interview.
- The hiring managers or employers create a set of open-ended questions that are relevant to the job position.
- The recruiting teams record a set of instructions for participants that explain how to complete the one-way video interview. That may include information about the types of questions, time limits, and technical instructions for recording and submitting the video.
- Participants are invited to complete the one-way video interview using a video recording platform.
- Candidates record their video responses to the interview questions using a webcam or mobile camera. They may have time to record each response and can re-record their answers if necessary (the Playhunt platform also offers such a re-record option).
- Once job seekers have recorded their video responses, they submit the completed interview through the video recording platform.
- The hiring manager or employer can then analyze the video replies and use the information to make informed decisions.
Proven strategies to prepare for one-way interview
Now, let’s discuss some strategies to prepare for a one-way video interview and get the desired position.
- Test your camera (check the video recording), microphone, and internet connection to ensure everything is working correctly before starting the interview and that you can make eye contact with the device.
- Take the time to consider your responses to the interview questions carefully.
- Dress like you are going to an in-person interview or a live video/phone interview.
- Select a quiet location where you will not be disturbed during the interview.
- Even though you are the only person recording the interview independently, it is still essential to be mindful of your body language. Sit straight, make eye contact with the camera, and avoid fidgeting or slouching.
Overall, a one-way video interview can be a convenient and effective way to gather qualitative data or conduct job interviews.
By following these strategies, you’ll be able to ensure you are fully prepared and confident during the interview process.
Advantages of One-Way Video Interviews
Here are some key benefits of one-way video interviews:
- Traditional interviews often require the candidates to be present at a specific time and location, which can be inconvenient and time-consuming. On-demand video interviews, on the other hand, can be completed at any convenient time and place for the candidate, making it easier for them to fit the interview into their busy schedules.
- A self-paced interview can be less intimidating for candidates since there is no need to be face-to-face with the interviewer.
- Self-paced interviews can save the candidate and interviewer time. A candidate can complete an on-demand video interview without leaving work or traveling to a specific location. The interviewer, in turn, can review the responses conveniently without scheduling a live consultation.
- A self-paced interview can also broaden the talent pool for a particular job position. A candidate who may not have been able to attend a traditional interview due to location, scheduling conflicts, or other reasons can now participate in the interview process.
- One way video interviews can help to reduce bias in the hiring process.
Such solutions offer several advantages, including improved time management, a broader talent pool, and reduced bias.
Disadvantages of Self-Paced Interviews
While self-paced interviews offer many advantages, they also have some disadvantages.
- The self-paced interview requires candidates to use new technology, which can sometimes be challenging. Candidates may need help recording and submitting their video responses, which can create frustration and delay hiring. Technical issues such as poor internet connectivity, old computer screen, microphone or camera problems, or issues with the video recording platform can also be problematic.
- Having self-paced interviews means more accountability for candidates. The need to record responses within the given timeframe can create additional stress for some candidates, particularly those who may need to be more comfortable with technology or are anxious about the hiring process.
- Self-paced interviews can be confusing for a candidate if they are not provided with clear instructions on completing the interview. Candidates may need to learn how long they have to talk, how to record their responses, or how to submit their videos.
Additionally, it would be wise to remember that many of these on-demand video interview disadvantages can be mitigated with proper preparation and guidance.
Company representatives should provide clear instructions on interviewing and technical support to help reduce technical challenges and confusion while setting a reasonable time limit.
Providing a candidate with a clear understanding of the expectations can help eliminate stress and increase accountability.
Tips for Handling Self-Paced Interviews
Techniques for effective communication.Communication is crucial to any interview process, especially in a self-paced interview. It is vital to provide clear instructions, set clear expectations, and offer guidance and support throughout the process to communicate effectively. You can also use footage messages or chatbots to provide candidates with additional information or answer questions.
Best practices for conducting a one-way interview.Having a well-planned and structured interview process and practice questions is crucial. That includes creating a list of the same questions topical for the best position, providing candidates with clear instructions and guidelines, and setting reasonable time limits for completing the required interview stage (from the first round to the last).
Expert advice for a successful self-paced interview.Company specialists suggest that one-way interviews should be used with other hiring methods, such as live-work interviews or skill assessments. You can also use footage or AI-based analysis to evaluate candidates’ demand for video and identify critical areas of strength or weakness.
Other tips for a fortunate one-way interview include the following moments.
- Start using a user-friendly Playhunt video recording platform that is easy to navigate and understand.
- Provide candidates with clear instructions and guidelines. Focus on how to create an answer.
- Offer support and guidance during the video interviewing process, including technical support if needed.
- Use various interview questions, such as behavioral or situational questions (or audio-only/video questions), to get a well-rounded view of the candidate’s skills and abilities.
The company can conduct a productive self-paced interview and get the best talent by following these tips and practices.
Launch Your First One-Way Video Interview Using Playhunt
Playhunt is an innovative virtual hiring platform that allows the company to streamline its hiring process. You can easily create and launch your first one-way video interview with Playhunt, giving you access to a large talent pool and helping you quickly and efficiently identify top candidates.
Here are some advantages of using Playhunt for your one-way video interviews:
- Playhunt is designed with user-friendliness in mind and helps to increase hiring speed.
- You can easily send an on-demand interview invitation and get an answer via the recruiter’s inbox (even if it’s instantly returned).
- The candidate can create the recorded video on demand with an initial response and other information.
- It streamlines the hiring process, allowing you to screen and evaluate many candidates quickly and efficiently (even the top half).
- The virtual hiring platform helps save valuable time and resources.
- Playhunt allows you to assess candidates holistically, using a variety of question types and evaluation tools.
It’s easy for candidates and employers to get an account on Playhunt and make on-demand video and video calls.
You can create a job post, receive applications, get every answer, and launch your first one-way video interview in just a few simple steps.
Once you register an account, you can customize your job post, set up your interview questions, and invite candidates to complete their one-way interviews.
Playhunt also offers technical support and guidance throughout the video interviewing process, ensuring a smooth and successful experience.